Leading as coach rather than servant leader

My coach has told me over the years not to take people's monkeys. I could never quite figure out how to do that without throwing problems back at people, and it didn't make me feel good about my role and the value I am bringing. I recently took a co-active fundamentals class where I learned coaching techniques, such as 3 levels of listening and powerful questions, and I've been experimenting bringing some of these techniques into my 1-1's. What I'm learning is that I'm now allowing space for my staff to explore their question and what they really need rather than jumping in with a solution, and I then help them figure out how they will hold themselves accountable for their actions as a result. It's not a lot of extra work for me other than my full attention during our conversation and any requests they have me, and we walk away much more clear about what's needed and are more confident we're solving root rather than surface issues.

Comments